Thursday, July 22, 2010

Viscosity is a measure of the resistance of a fluid which is being deformed by either shear stress or tensile stress. In everyday terms (and for fluids only), viscosity is "thickness". Thus, water is "thin", having a lower viscosity, while honey is "thick", having a higher viscosity. Put simply, the less viscous the fluid is, the greater its ease of movement (fluidity).[1]


I have had the word viscosity in my head for a long time. Why is it significant? I guess because I like to think of it in terms of how I respond and react to stress. If humans are mostly water, then it feels like an appropriate way to examine and describe myself. The viscosity of my being. How it copes, how it flexes and sways in stress. And most importantly, how it retains it's form after it has been affected by said stress.

What kind of stress? Could be anything really, from my five year old yelling: “Don't you care about my soul?!” at the top of her lungs to the sticky spots of popsicle reflecting the light as they travel across the new wood floor and calling my name to wipe them up.

:Sigh: Now this stress may not be the worst kind, and I can keep adding to the list of things that challenge my viscosity, but then I wouldn't have anything to write about later...


3 comments:

  1. I love it! It's really nice to be the grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sister in law,

    I hear you.....LOUD AND CLEAR :) I have had similar feelings for quite some time. I think the most relative aspect for me is how the children change, not in age but in activity, mood, personality, and you feel like a new mommy, that's statement is awesome! But I have found it easiest to change with them and there are times when part of me wants to refuse the change but it must be done. And I know the feeling of wondering about going back to work. I send out three or four resumes a day working full force at obtaining that job that's going to make me feel like me again, but then the same thing happens, I spend an awesome day with my kids and wonder how am I going to do this? We need to talk more often :) The feelings are very relative and we would be great therapy for one another LOL

    Love you
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara,

    You are right, we should talk more often. We seem to be dealing with many of the same issues. I just keep hoping that I still have my brain when I reach the other side...

    ReplyDelete