Monday, July 26, 2010

Is she really five? really?

This is a snippet of Ella at age 18 months. It is a deadly combination of brains and cuteness.


Since I deal with my impending job with a mix of denial and excitement, it follows that I should for this morning, pretend it doesn't exist. Instead I shall write a bit on my darling girl, Ella. Not to bore or to brag, but to let you know what I am up against here. Here are some of her statements, but recall as you read that she is newly five years old.

Ella: Mommy where is your grandpa?
In heaven honey.
Ella: How did he get there? Did he die on the cross like Jesus?
Um, no. He did not die on the cross.
Ella: Was he brought up to heaven on horses?
I don't think so, but I can't be sure. It may have been angels.
cue Holden, with passion: GOD IS IN OUR HEARTS!

Ella: Mommy. When can I drive the car?
not until you are 17 babe
Ella: Well when I drive a car how will the police officer know that I am old enough to drive?
you will get a drivers license. you need one to drive a car.

Ella is silent, but I can see the wheels turning. Which leads us to the following:

Ella: Mommy, want to hear something funny?
sure babe, whats up
Ella: How am I supposed to learn to drive a car if I don't have a drivers license until I learn to drive a car?
um
Ella: Mommy?
well we will get you a learners permit and blah blah blah. (I am stunned from previous question as I babble on about this)
she now looks very concerned.
Ella: HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO FIND MY WAY IF I DON'T HAVE A NAVIGATOR! I NEED A NAVIGATOR!
okay honey! We will get you a navigator! I promise!
cue Holden again with passion: POOP!

And finally, just the other day.
On the way home from the dentist.
Ella: Mommy, do you go to Norge Dental Center for your teeth?
yes I do
Ella: Have your teeth ever been happier?
huh?
Ella: Have your teeth ever been happier?
why do you ask? (then I see the balloon she has been holding onto from the hygienist. It says: Norge Dental Center, my teeth have never been happier!)
I start to laugh. I say, my teeth are pretty happy. Yours?
Ella: yes, they are happy.

So that is a taste of it. I figure that I have about five minutes before she is smarter than me. Heck, she may even be smarter than me already, just playing at it to preserve my self esteem...

2 comments:

  1. LOL...I love these kids. She is brilliant...and beautiful. And when she has some free time, I'd like Ella to teach me algebra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're really in big trouble.

    ReplyDelete